smkcbn icon

CBN Fundraising Dinner 

Heritage & Culture - CBN Alumni

Heritage &

Culture

Our culture, our family, our friends, and not forgetting… our school.

KL Convent Heritage

Timeline

1899

In January 1899, 3 nuns – Reverend Mother St André, Sister St Sabine and Sister St Madeline came to Kuala Lumpur to establish a school.  The first Convent School was located in Nonya Ah Yok’s garden shed in Ampang Road which is directly opposite of Bukit Nanas,.   

On 1 March 1899, the Convent School was officially opened with a dozen children mostly from the immigrants children who were working on the railway lines

1899

1901

1 March – the school moved to Victoria Hotel, Brickfields which was bought over by Esq. Goh Ah Gee to be used the new school block. A total number of 80 students were registered.

1901

1902

Student population grew to 114.   Subjects taught were Essay Writing, Sewing, Physical Education, Music and Art. 

1902

1903

A music test was conducted and Health Education was taught as a new subject.  The textbooks used were provided by the British colonial government in then Malaya.

1903

1904

The introduction of school uniform – a blue skirt and white blouse sewn by Sr Lawrence and Sr Marie.   

Some of the boys left for the newly opened St John’s Institution.

1904

1907

Music lessons introduced by Rev Mother St Augustin.  The school got its first grand piano donated by Milly O’Hara.

1907

1909

The first Cambridge class to take the Junior Cambridge examinations.  Miss Dottie and Miss Chew Lian were the first students of the school to pass the exam.

1909

1910

The Lady Superior made a change in the school curriculum by inserting  a ten minute interval for play in all the classes from 10.20 to 10.30am

1910

1912

Due to frequent floods in the Brickfields, the school moved to Bukit Nanas.  A new building was built in the English Gothic style by government architects Mr. Huxley and Mr. Kesteven.  Rev. Mother Tarcisius took over as Headmistress.  The new building and location were officially opened by Mr. E. L. Brockman, who was the Chief Secretary of the Federated Malay States.

1912

1915

The Chapel was built.

CBN gets electricity

1915

1923

Rev Mother St Adele was put in charge of the whole establishment in CBN.

1923

1924

The Form 3 block was completed.

1924

1925

The first Malaysian teacher, Miss Sobreen was hired.  She was the daughter of philanthropist Like Chow Kit.

1925

1931

English language, Literature, Geometry, Algebra, Bible Knowledge and French was introduced.

1931

1941 -1945

2nd World War – Convent Bukit  Nanas became a temporary sanctuary for hundreds of civilian refugees, orphans and abandoned babies. The school buildings were left intact and unharmed.

1941 -1945

1945

 September 15, re-opening of the school with Rev. Mother Adele returned as the Headmistress.  General Science was introduced to the curriculum 

1945

1946 – 1947

Special Malay classes were introduced for Malay girls transferred from vernacular school.

1946 – 1947

1946 – 1947

The Nazareth Building, formerly the house of the Chief Justices obtained from the Government. 

1946 – 1947

1951

Rev Mother St Pauline became Headmistress. She introduced Physical Education to the school. Students were then allowed to wear bloomers during PE classes.

1951

1953

Science classes were introduced.  A New Wing of the school was officially opened in October

1953

1957

Rev Mother St Francis Xavier became Headmistress. The Art Hall and the laboratories were built. Economics classes were introduced.

Nazareth was acquired to house a Teacher’s Training College.

1957

1958

The Primary and Secondary school were separated.

1958

1960

Transition from English medium to Bahasa Malaysia.

1960

1961

Form 6 classes began.

1961

1963

The Form 4 block was built.

1963

1965

Rev Mother St Aidan became Headmistress. The Four Sport Houses were founded.  They took the names of the current and previous Headmistress.  They are Aidan (Red), Pauline (Blue), Adele (Yellow) and Xavier (Green).

1965

1966

Rev Mother St. Brede became Headmistress.

1966

1968

Students were required to join and be active in extra-curriculum activities.

1968

1973

PTA was formed.

1973

1975

Special Programme “Yayasan Selangor” which involved the placement of rural pupils at premier schools in Kuala Lumpur including CBN was introduced.

1975

1976

Mrs Chee Phui Lay became the 1st local/Malaysian headmistress.  

Career Guidance and Counselling started by Sr Anne Wong.

1976

1979

Mrs. Indrani Manuel became Principal. The school office was shifted to the Upper Secondary Region.

1979

1980

SPM completely in Bahasa Malaysia.  MCE (Malaysian Certificate of Education) is abolished.

1980

1982

All studies were conducted in the Malay Language henceforth. HSC (Higher School Certificate) is replaced by STPM (Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia.

1982

1984

The Facade’ was painted to commemorate the school’s 85th anniversary.

1984

1988

KBSM (Kurikulum Baru Sekolah Menengah) is launched. The whole School was painted.

1988

1989

90th Anniversary Celebration

1989

1991

The Pink Dormitory given to the School by the I.J. Sisters, had been converted into classrooms for the Sixth Form.

For the 1st time, school opened for the new school year in December instead of January.

1991

1996

School terms reverts to January opening.

1996

1999

Centennial Celebration.

The School Band was founded. Mrs. Vimala Matthews retired. Mrs. Alice George became Principal. The school, both primary and secondary celebrated the 100th anniversary of CBN.

1999

2004

Mrs. Alice George retired. Mrs. Ann Khoo became the principal.

2004

2010

Mrs. Ann Khoo retired. Mrs. Mysterical Ros Fernandez became the principal.

2010

2014

CBN celebrates Mrs. Mysterical Ros Fernandez retirement. Mrs. Nirmala S.S. Nathan replaced her as Principal.

2014

2017

CBN celebrates Mrs. Nirmala S.S. Nathan’s retirement. Mrs. Rosemand A. Lawrence replaced her as Principal.  The school office is shifted from the Madeline block to the Administration block.

2017

2018

Founder’s Day celebration was held for the 1st time on the 1st March 2018.  The Multipurpose Hall was constructed by the PTA.

The Official CBN Alumni was launched on the 28th July 2018.  The event was officiated by the Bank Negara Governor, Datuk Nor Shamsiah Mohd Yunus, who is a CBN old girl.

2018

2019

CBN celebrated her 120th Anniversary

2019

2020

School sessions were disrupted by COVID-19 Pandemic. Lessons were taught by online learning.

2020